Monday, March 23, 2009

Is 65 the New 35?

My 65th birthday rolls around tomorrow, and I still feel as if I am 35. Or younger.

Inside my head, at least.

Yeah, some of my moving parts now grind, click and rattle. And I've had some issues that a few bits of surgery (okay, a couple of BIG bits) have been able to repair.

Life at 65 is a bit more of a chemical balancing act than I expected it would be. Pills for this, pills for that. Keep this down; keep that up. But, hey, the pills work, and life goes on. I remain full of ideas, ambitions, energy, drive, vitality--and even youthful stupidity, sometimes.

Some mornings when I drag (albeit more slowly) out of bed, I do joke that 65 is the new 64. Or the new 75. But inside my head, I still feel as if I am 35--or younger.

Tomorrow, I turn 65. And so what? I'm retired but still working part-time, mostly because I like having a small busisness. My wife still loves me. I love her madly, too. And my head and heart remain full of goals and curiosity and causes. And songs.

Life is good. Indeed, I think life at 65 is much better than it ever was when I was 35.


-- Si Dunn

No comments:

Google